We all look forward to a summer holiday, but will your pet enjoy it as much as you do?
For a pet, the holiday season can be unsettling. Whether you take them with you or book them into the kennels or cattery, it will be a new routine for your pet. They will be in a new environment, seeing new people every day, eating and drinking in a different spot, meeting unfamiliar animals or travelling long distances in the car. Small changes to us but potentially big ones for them!
So what can you do to help your pet cope with this potentially stressful situation?
Travelling & Holidaying With Your Pet:
- Ensure where you are going is safe for your pet. Things to consider: is there an enclosed or safe outside space? Has your pet had all the necessary vaccinations? Do you know where the local vet is?
- Try to take familiar things with you such as their bed and toys as it can really help them feel at home.
- Ensure they have normal food with you: a change to their diet could upset their tummies.
- Be sure to bring any paperwork, supplements and medications with you.
- Always have water with you wherever you go. If you are abroad and using bottled water yourself, use it for your pet as they are not used to the local water either.
Zylkène is a complementary feed for cats and dogs which contains a natural product, derived from casein, a protein in milk. It is a molecule well known to promote the relaxation of newborns after breastfeeding. Launched in April 2008, Zylkène has become a familiar product for veterinary surgeons, behaviourists, nurses and pet owners for use in helping pets cope when facing unusual and unpredictable situations or before occasions such as a change in their normal environment.
Further information is available on request from: Vetoquinol, Vetoquinol House, Great Slade, Buckingham Industrial Park, Buckingham, MK18 1PA. UK
Tel: 01280 814500 ROI Tel: 1800 406117